An infrastructure solution to keep a vibrant resort town connected.
As one of the Mid-Atlantic’s premier tourist destinations for a vacation or weekend getaway, Ocean City draws upwards of eight million visitors each year. Tourists not only spend time on the beach, but also flock to the boardwalk to explore the iconic East Coast pedestrian thruway that features amusements, shopping, and picturesque views. Wireless connectivity is crucial for a destination like Ocean City, where visitors depend on their mobile devices to take photos, use GPS, or stay in touch with their loved ones—and local businesses rely on mobile services for everything from reaching consumers to payment platforms. Learn more.
What we did:
- Worked closely with Ocean City officials to design a solution that didn’t distract from the aesthetics of the boardwalk and inhibit people’s view of the shoreline
- Used existing city conduit underneath the boardwalk to provide fiber connectivity to our nodes
- Installed cameras to help with security and traffic flow
- Deployed 93 nodes with plans to install an additional 24 nodes across Ocean City
- Improved the town’s wireless coverage and capacity